Saturday, July 20, 2024
LOGIN PW

Sailons.Com

A Sailing Resource for the Sailing Community


Dalhousie Yacht Club

Rating (unrated)

14 May 2019
Port Dalhousie

Discover DYC - Niagara's Best Kept Secret

74 Lighthouse Rd St. Catharines Ontario L2N7P5 Canada
(905) 934-8325



https://www.dalhousieyachtclub.com/
DalhousieYC
dalhousieyachtclub
dalhousieyachtclub
channel/UCoHt95eAsxnLMHiGrOWrdlw

Listing Since 14 May 2019

Service Features

Club Racing
Clubhouse
Docks and Slips
Fitness Center
Meeting and Catering Facilities
Membership
Mooring
Parking
Restaurant Available
Small Craft Dry Storage
Social Events
Swimming Pool
Training/Learning Programs
Winter Storage

AVAILABLE NOT AVAILABLE

Reviews


There are no current reviews for this listing. If you know about this listing, please leave us a review!

Please LOGIN to leave a review of this listing

From 1829 to 1932 Port Dalhousie was the entrance to the first three Welland Canals.

In 1932 the fourth Welland Canal opened with a new entrance three miles east at Port Weller and a transformation began as the beach and the harbour focused on recreation. Power boaters and sailors wanted facilities to launch and moor their boats and saw the opportunity, as property and water rights became available for lease.

In 1936, preliminary plans were put together by a small group of local businessmen, and on January 8, 1937 the first meeting to create the Dalhousie Yacht Club was held at the St. Catharines, YMCA. After leasing land and water rights the first priority was a crane followed by a 20 x 20 shack (AKA Club House) built on stilts as the lake level was unpredictable. Those were the depression years and it was the members who did all the work. Dues were $5 a year and many boats were constructed by their owners. Camaraderie was the order of the day and the term Work Party was taken literally; members worked together for the common cause, and then they partied.

After WW II members felt the need to formally incorporate and Provincial Letters Patent were granted on March 1, 1945. Members began a building fund and in 1950 a new clubhouse (20 x 60) with an open veranda was constructed at a cost of $8,000. Members finished the interior over the winter months with donated materials including the fireplace, which was constructed with materials left over from the "Mills Memorial" being constructed at Victoria Lawn Cemetery.

In 1955 the lounge area was added; renovations and improvements to the facilities continued to mark progress. As east side operations such as the rail terminal and rail line (which previously took passengers to Niagara Falls) ceased operating the land became available and DYC expanded the leased area. Boats originally moored on the west side requiring dingys and the west side docks became the next major project.

Negotiations with the city over the location of the harbour walkway, and a proposal to become part of the outer harbour Marina, which was rejected by a majority vote, occupy much of the clubs files.

2012 was the 75th Anniversary for DYC. The Club is member controlled and remains to be a tribute to the founders.


(C)2022 Sailons.Com - A Sailing Resource for the Sailing Community